Sunday, October 1, 2017

1st 1 Cup Flour Recipe: Cookie

After a lot of hours setting up this blog and linking to social media

Finally my first dive into the 1st 1 Cup Flour recipe: Cookie

In February 2017, after spending some time with me in Geneva and Paris, my partner had to go back home.  Due to very strict check in luggage weight by Emirates, my partner had to leave with me big boxes of cookies and items from IKEA (Geneva).  We were very much upset as the cookies and items were gifts for our kids back home.  I had to bring all the items back with me to Congo-Brazzaville.

In August 2017, I had a chance to go back home and I brought along the cookies and IKEA items for our kids.  They loved the biscuits and cookies and we had a nice time assembling the IKEA items for use in the children's bedroom.

I mistakenly left one box of IKEA Oat crisps KAKOR HAVREFLARN in my refrigerator.  I was not a cookie person but really enjoyed these cookies - so much so that after 1 - 2 weeks of opening and closing my refrigerator, I developed a habit of taking one crisps / cookie.

I tried to recreate this delightful cookie using this recipe from Clotilde

But it was hard (*ehem* expensive) to find the ingredients here in Brazzaville

That is why I resorted to Google to help me find a 1 cup flour recipe for cookies which led me to this recipe: Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies from "the spruce" by Diana Rattray

Clotilde's recipe called for: 1/2 cup whole wheat flour, 1/4 cup butter, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoon milk, 1/2 cup rolled oats, 2 teaspoons honey, and some very exact measurements and some ingredients that was too expensive for me here in Congo-Brazzavillle.  Cooking at 180C for 10-12 minutes

Diana's recipe called for: 1 cup 2 tablespoons of flour 1/2 cup butter, 1 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 egg and some some ingredients that was too expensive for me here in Congo-Brazzavillle.  Cooking at 190C for 10mins

I only had 1 cup flour, sugar, salt, butter, milk, egg and baking powder and I have to rely on my oven's "thermostat" to accomplish the correct temperature,

My decision for the recipe:
1/2 cup flour (farine de ble bio T55) from Park and Shop
1/2 cup Quaker quick cooking white oats
1/2 cup butter (approximately: 115grams) or less than half of 200g butter from Park and Shop
1/4 - 1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon milk
2 teaspoons Vahine Nappage Caramel Gout Vanille

I decided to cream the butter and sugar.  This creaming business smells wonderful.  Then I added the Vahine Nappage Caramel Gout Vanille which made the whole dough smell very very very nice.

Once "creamy", I incorporated the flour then the oats.  When everything seemed to be mixed well  I added the 2 tablespoons of milk.  Things got sticky and then I added the salt.

I pre heated the oven close to 200C for 10 - 15 minutes and then tried my first batch of balled dough (using a butter knife, teaspoon and my fingers.

The first batch did not "spread their wings", so I decided to give them 3 more minutes (mindful that my oven's bottom heating element was not on as it shorted out my circuit breakers)

I flattened the second batch on the same "cookie/pizza" pan which "spread the wings" but it was stuck to the pan and half of the batch was broken in half after vigorously persuading them to let go of the pan.

For the third batch, balled them up, placed virgin olive oil underneath the ball and flattened them.  It spread nicely but I overcooked them (got a little bit too cocky).

Will try another batch of cookies next weekend!




No comments:

Post a Comment